Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Trip to the Real Cinderella Castle


This is the Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World



. . . And THIS is the real Cinderella Castle-Neuschwanstein Castle


Neuschwanstein Castle was built in the 1880's. King Ludwig II of Bavaria comissioned it in honor of his friend Richard Wagner. It was designed by a famous set designer, not an architect which explains why it has such a fantasy type look to it. Ironically, King Ludwig only lived there about 162 days. He was labeled insane and then found a few days later, dead in a lake with his psychiatrist. The deaths are still a mystery to this day, but it's supposed that his death was part of a coup.


Only a third of the rooms were completed and within a few weeks of Ludwig's death, the castle became a museum and has been one ever since.

Our first glimpse of the castle!

On our day off, we took a half day trip to the castle and we were glad we did. Although it was a little chaotic at times (try organizing a trip for 50 plus parents and kids!) the scenary was beautiful and it's always nice to see a famous landmark.


A view from a castle room . . . no wonder Ludwig picked this spot!



Pictures weren't aloud within the castle, but I did sneak this one of Renae climbing the princess steps in one of the towers.


The castle kitchen . . . can you even imagine?



Walking down the long road to the buses.



There were a few great view points along the way.



You could even catch a ride in a horse drawn carriage! (For 6 euros a person . . . )


You can see Renae has time to stop for a cheese face picture . . .



"Renae, you wear my new hat."



"No Daddy, YOU wear it."



"OK. You're right. I look the best in it."

4 comments:

Nate and Natalie said...

Beautiful! Lucky little girl that gets to see a real castle. I love the stairs picture of daddy and daughter holding hands, precious.

P_31Girl said...

I wanna see a REAL castle! I'm jealous!

kpjordan said...

Julie, a really great shot of you with your sunglasses where you and Renae are walking hand in hand. (I enlarged it). Oh my...the scenery is absolutely beautiful!!! I would truly like to visit there one day.
Great to see pics of all of you. So glad your family had such a wonderful time there.

Anonymous said...

I.Am.Jealous.
But because I love you, I am HAPPY :) that you got to go!
;)
Britt