Monday, June 21, 2010

Recipe and Coupon Matching 6/22-6/29

Here's my first week of making meals based on what I have in my cupboards and fridge, plus items on sale combined with coupons. Remember, I'll be shopping at Hy-Vee and Aldi for these items. You can follow along and make these meals using the same coupons, or just make the recipes without! Let's see how little I can spend!


Menu:
Tuesday-Broccoli Ham Ring served with lettuce salad
Wednesday-Lasagna served with lettuce salad and garlic crescent rolls
Thursday-Broccoli and Chicken in Noodles, side of Fruit
Friday-Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs with baked beans and chips
Saturday-I'm out of town with the kids so Jesse will enjoy the lasagna leftovers!
Sunday-Still out of town for lunch, but I'll probably do homemade pizza for supper.
Monday-Scalloped potatoes and Ham with frozen veggies

**********************************************************

GROCERY LISTS

Hy-Vee(Only using Sunday paper coupons or printable coupons. If the bottom line price is still more expensive then Aldi's, I will NOT buy the item at Hy-Vee. I'll wait until I head to Aldi)
  • 2 cans refridgerated crescent rolls-$1 off 3 Pillsbury (use 3rd as side dish on lasagna day)
  • Cottage cheese-.50 off 24 oz. Roberts dairy(will use in broccoli ham ring and lasagna)
  • Cooked ham-$1 off 2 packages of cubed turkey or ham (Farmland), or $1 off Farmland select ham
  • 1 lb sausage- $1 off Odom's Tennesse Pride sausage plus ground beef (You'll use that ground beef on Friday!)
  • Hot dogs-$1 off Oscar Meyer package
  • Yogurt-I have a bunch of printable coupons. This is just for our general snack food.
  • Sugar-$2 off when you buy 10 Kool-aid packets. I've been wanting lemonaid and now I'll have it!
  • Pepperoni slices

Aldi:

  • 2 Broccoli crowns(use in Tuesday's and Thursday's meal)
  • Onions (Broccoli Ham ring, and I'm out and usually have these on hand)
  • Lasagna noodles
  • Tomato paste(Lasagna)
  • Parmesan cheese(Lasagna and Alfredo Sauce)
  • Eggs(Lasagna and general use)
  • Lettuce(I love serving salads with my meals if you can't tell!)
  • Cream cheese(Alfredo sauce)
  • Hot Dog buns
  • Cheese(mozzarella for lasagna as I used my last on Broccoli Ham Ring-I'll shred it myself!)
  • Potatoes(Monday's meal and general use-I'm out!)
  • Butter(General use)
  • Grapes(General use)
  • Chips and snack items we're out of

**********************************************************

RECIPES

Broccoli Ham Ring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size bowl, mix the following:

  • 1 cup cooked meat (ham, turkey or chicken)

  • 1 cup chopped broccoli

  • 1/4 cup chopped onion

  • 1/3 cup cottage cheese

  • 8 oz shredded cheese (I'm using mozzarella this time)

  • 1 tsp of dry mustard or just squirt in some regular mustard like I usually do

  • Squirt of lemon juice or squeeze some out of a lemon

  • 1 tsp parsley
Open 2 cans of refridgerated crescent rolls. Roll out triangles in a circle so the widest end faces the middle of the baking stone. They will overlap each other. Using scoop or 2 spoons, carefully place the ham/broccoli mix evenly around ring. Fold over pointy ends of the triangles and tuck under the wide ends. Sprinkle a bit of dill weed on top and put in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. Serves 2-4 adults.

Recipe from my mother-in-law via Pampered Chef.


Lasagna with salad and garlic bread

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown meat, drain. Add onion, garlic and cook a few minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and paste, water, salt and oregano. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir occasionaly. In other dish, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley. Grease 9x13 pan. Put noodles on bottom layer. Spread 1/2 of cottage cheese mixture, 1/2 of mozzarella, and 1/2 of meat sauce. Repeat. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, then uncovered for another 30 minutes.

Recipe from my mother-in-law, tweeked by me.

Broccoli and Chicken in Noodles

  • Boil water for noodles and follow package directions.

  • Cut chicken breasts in bite size pieces then place in skillet with oil. Sprinkle your favorite herbs (I'll be using thyme, rosemary and basil) on chicken as they cook.

  • Steam broccoli.

  • Make alfredo sauce last: 1 stick butter, 1 8 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 c. milk, 2/3 Parmesan cheese. Melt butter and cream cheese. Wisk until smooth. Add Parmesan cheese and milk and whisk til smooth. Serve immediately. Thickens quickly!

  • You can either leave the broccoli as a side dish, or mix it in with the chicken and noodles.

Alfredo recipe from Jenny Kuphal.

Grilled hamburgers and hot dogs with baked beans

I think you know what to do with burgers and hot dogs! Make your favorite baked beans recipe.

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham


5 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 quart heavy cream (I always use milk)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place the potatoes, onion, garlic, Cheddar cheese, and ham in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Gently stir until well combined. Pour the cream over the potato mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.

************************************************************

I'll let you know if I can do all of this for under 50$! If anyone tries this same menu, let me know how much you spent. I'll shoot for another coupon/recipe match up next week too and try and cut my grocery bill even slimmer!

2 comments:

Senegal Daily said...

Seriously.

You are even more organized than I am. I'd always imagined that condition was actually physically painful, but you seem to be thriving on it :)

Way to go!!

Jenny said...

Awesome, Julie! You should put your meal plans and grocery lists in a binder and then once you have about 6 weeks worth you can just start over again and never have to make a list again! That was another thing I started and didn't follow through with. HAHA! I'd say 50 buck for 7 days is great.